About The Book
If you’ve come to this section of my site, you may be a woman who is suffering from some form of hair loss, or perhaps are close to a woman who has. If so, you’re not alone. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, upwards of 30 million women suffer from noticeably thinning hair.
Unfortunately, many people have no idea that hair loss is a major problem for huge numbers of women because they are too embarrassed to talk about it.
The fact is: Men like to have hair. Women have to have hair.
For the female gender, possessing hair is not a matter of vanity. Instead, it’s basic equipment: As basic as two eyes, a nose and a mouth. When a woman starts to get “see-through” hair on her head, the effect on how she sees herself (self-image) and how she feels about herself (self-esteem) is catastrophic.
A survey of women conducted in 1999 revealed that they believe efforts to develop newer treatments have been very inadequate considering how many of them suffer from hair loss in our population.
Women losing their hair need hope, help, and solutions right now. Sadly, most receive none.
That is why I have written this book.
My goal is to help raise awareness for women as to their options in seeking hair-loss treatment. Having worked with women one-on-one and face-to-face for almost 30 years, I have an in-depth understanding of what they need and how to help them. However, as an individual physician, I am overwhelmed by the sheer number of women desperate for proper care, and the paucity of physicians capable of treating them with the care and sensitivity they need.
For all those women who are unable to come see me personally, my hope is that by reading this book, they can obtain a de facto consultation. Armed with the information packed into these pages, I believe the patient herself may be able to advise and encourage her dermatologist to take the time and make the effort needed to learn how to develop the expertise required for treating women with hair loss.
Who should get this Book?
This book was written for any woman who:
- Suffers from Hair Loss and is seeking help and hope.
- Has Thinning/Shedding/Breaking Hair from any cause.
- Needs help with Diagnosis for her hair loss.
- Knows her diagnosis, but needs help with Treatment recommendations.
- Has been unable to find a physician who treats hair loss.
- Has had a bad experience with an attempt at diagnosis and/or treatment.
- Wants to know how a hair loss expert approaches an individualized diagnosis and treatment plan for hair loss.
- Would like to see Dr. Reed in consultation, but is unable to for any reason.
- Wants to avoid unnecessary or wasteful diagnostic testing for hair loss.
- Doesn't want to spend a lot of time and money on useless treatments.
- Wants to understand the real risks vs. benefits of medical and/or surgical treatment for hair loss.
- Wants to learn how her physician can properly monitor their progress during their treatment for hair loss.